Friday, October 21, 2016

Over-communicating with your players

By Ryan Maloney

Head Coach Geoff Braun during practice on Thursday
"During one of my first years coaching, one of my outsides hit the ball out seven times in a row. I finally took her out, but I didn't want to walk to the end of the bench to tell her why. After the match, her and her mom come up to me and she says, 'I don't know why you took my daughter out.' Since then, I've made it a point to over-communicate. I just want to make sure they know where I'm coming from." ~ Amber Warners, Calvin Volleyball

As a whole, our society is excellent at over-communicating, if you define over-communicating as the number of sent e-mails, texts, Tweets, and Snaps.

Our society is also terrible at at over-communicating, if you define over-communicating as a willingness to have difficult, vulnerable conversations every day.

It just depends on how you define communicate. Your definition is likely to trickle down to those you lead.

[PS - The third round of SUNYAC Pool Play begins tonight in Fredonia at 5 p.m.]