Thursday, September 3, 2015

2015 Recruit Profile: Natalie Berrafato

"Natalie is a positive leader on the court and is very friendly and outgoing. She seems to have already made a favorable impression on the rest of the girls. Natalie has great ball-control skills and the confidence required to lead an offense." ~ Coach Braun





1) You don't seem to have any hesitations about wanting to be a teacher. Is that correct? When did you first know you wanted to teach? And how?

Ever since I was little I've always wanted to work with people in some type of way.

Natalie played high school volleyball for Scott
Wright at Williamsville East
Back in elementary school, teachers would always ask the typical question no one ever knew: what do you want to be when you're older? No one ever really knew what they wanted to be, but me on the other hand would always write, "to be a teacher."


Recently I have looked back at all the things I've done in elementary school with my mom because we found a whole bin my mom had saved. As we were looking I found a paper that talked about me wanting to become a teacher.

When middle school came around I was sitting in gym class with my two favorite teachers, Mrs. Beeebe and Mr. Pignataro. I've always looked up to them as my role models for teaching even though they were gym teachers. Every time they were working with kids they looked like they were having fun, and that made me want to work with kids too.

Also, growing up I would always babysit and it was something that I enjoyed every time I had to, even if there were other plans going on with my friends. Now I'm going into college, pursuing a future with teaching. Hopefully it will become a success.

2) You seemed dead set on coming to Fredonia for quite a while. You even committed during your recruiting visit. Why Fredonia?

I only looked at one other school besides Fredonia. When I made my visit in February it just felt right. Meeting the girls and spending a day with Coach Braun really made my decision 10 times easier. The girls made me feel welcomed and I knew I would fit right in.

I was looking for a good education program for my major and meeting with Nicole Hohenstein on my visit really set the tone for how it would be going to school here.

When I would tell people that I was thinking of going to Fredonia for teaching they all said they have a great education program and that it is perfect for my interests.

3) What have the emotions been like since leaving home for college/ I know you've said it was a pretty sad experience for you to leave.

It was very emotional for me leaving my family and friends at the end of the summer because we're all starting new chapters in our lives and going our separate ways. But it was definitely time to start something fresh. I can't wait to start a new chapter in my life and succeed.