Monday, May 2, 2016

Why we don't swear in the gym

By Ryan Maloney, assistant women's volleyball coach



We don't allow our players to swear in the gym. Ever. I can explain why using a story about marshmallows and three-year-olds.

In the early 1970's, scientists at Stanford took a bunch of three-year-olds and put them in an academic library. A scientist walked up to each kid and said, "here's a marshmallow, I'm going to leave this room for 15 minutes, and when I come back, if the marshmallow is still here you can have two marshmallows. But if you eat the marshmallow, you won't get another one."

Then the scientist left the room and turned on the video camera to see what happened. Some kids chose to eat the marshmallow, and some kids didn't.

The scientists waited 15 years to follow up with the kids they studied, now 18 years old and ready to leave for college. It turns out that the kids who didn't eat the marshmallow back when they were three were more successful by every measure: higher SAT scores, more prestigious colleges, reporting themselves to be happier.

"I want the marshmallow, but I'd rather have two marshmallows" ... "I want to vent my frustrations by swearing, but I want to be seen by others as a respectable, self-disciplined person" ... "I want to go to that party tonight, but I have practice in the morning."

The ability to delay gratification turns out to be a remarkable predictor of a happy life.