Monday, February 29, 2016

The real reason we have a voluntary strength and conditioning program in the off-season

By Ryan Maloney, assistant women's volleyball coach




We tell people the reason we have an off-season strength and conditioning program is to win more matches. It is, but the truer reason runs much deeper.

At its core, the reason is that the girl pictured above may one day be a grandmother. And wouldn't it be a shame, if towards the end of her life, she wasn't able to lift her grandchildren? Or carry her groceries inside?

Thirty minutes spent on an elliptical doesn't do that. It's too far inside the comfort zone.

Willie Murphy, a 77-year-old grandmother who can lift twice her 105 lb. frame, explains it better than I ever could in this two minute video: "They see I'm old and I'm not being pushed around in a wheelchair. I can shovel my own snow. And I can push my car if it gets stuck in the snow. I'm almost 80 years old and I am still living life."