Wednesday, November 11, 2015

The secret to great team chemistry

by Ryan Maloney, assistant women's volleyball coach



I used to think that great team chemistry was only possible by finding a collection of the "right" kids.

The kids who with good grades.
The kids who follow all the rules.
The kids you'd label as "selfless", "sweathearts", or "team-players".

I've learned that these narrow definitions don't define team chemistry. They can sometimes define a team that gets along well, but that doesn't necessarily mean that team has good chemistry, or will work together well on the court.

Anson Dorrance, whom I've been reading a lot of lately, says it this way:
"I believe that if I was lucky to have an incredible group of selfless individuals, team chemistry would be very good. And if we had a slew of selfish individuals, team chemistry would be bad. I thought it really came down to luck if the team chemistry was good or bad. Now I believe it really boils down to the attitudes of the reserve players and how the starters view and treat the reserves. That determines whether or not you have a genuine team."
 Developing this attitude doesn't come naturally. It didn't come naturally to me as an athlete and it doesn't usually come naturally to the "sweethearts" either.

Every team has to figure this out for itself, but I really believe it begins with valuing a player as a person before an athlete. Females in particular understand that athletics is relatively unimportant in the grand scheme of it all. Sometimes us male coaches have work to do to catch up with their understanding.